A customer brought me a beautiful stone with a diamond cut last year (forgot to ask her what it is, might be Swarovski, CZ or a gem). She wanted me to make a ring with it, which I did. I used Pat Johnson's Gypsy Ring tutorial in the Nov. 04 issue of the WAJ, and modified it to add a small crocheted pillow inside the setting to stabilize the pointed base of the stone. I was also afraid that the "prongs" might open and release the stone if they got caught in something, so I wove thin wire around the stem of each prong to bind them together. The customer had tried one of my own rings for sizing, and ordered the same size. I tried the ring on when finished, the size was perfect, so I delivered it, and the customer was really happy with it.
She came back at the beginning of November, asking me to make her another ring (she would pay), because her arthritis got worse, and she can't slip it on anymore. I decided to keep the ring for myself and to set another stone on it. The Montreal Gem Show was scheduled for a few weeks later, and it was a good time to find something special for myself. However, I was so sick in November, that I really didn't feel like going, but I went anyway, and bought the first thing that was correct in size, shape and price. I only wanted to go back home and get into my pajamas! I think that I bought a Mexican fire opal (at least that's what was written on the tray), but the guy wrote "moonstone" on my little baggie, which I doubt very much.
Anyway, this is what it looks like now with the new stone on. It's a shame that I couldn't manage to catch the red sparkles from within the stone, they're so pretty, especially when it's backlit.